(Caution! Do not try this at home! These are
The Web page that brings up the question:
"Will this anal-retentive attempt at preserving the humor of the newsfroup that
is the superset of all the groups on USENET be the death of spontanaity in
Well, I thnik not. The world supplies thousands of stoopid events every
day. No one in this froup should run out of fresh material. Or
something. But I decided to provide information about the
that isn't covered in the
- Jesper Nilsson's immense alt.stupidity archives at
- My own (offline) files that I've been collecting since 1994. (Nowhere near as
comprehensive as Jesper's. I tend to collect only the ones which mention
- The alt.stupidity news froup. Set
your killfile to delete all the clueless crossposters and you will
find some stuff in the remainder that is truly funny.
Most of the references to Stoopidians who contributed to this...thing, are
mentioned with their contributions (boy, I'll bet they're sorry!).
Even worse, here's some that get global blame. (In some kind of order, but
beginning with me!)
- Bill Wilkinson (me!): After falling down from the ceiling,
in and discovered that I'd opened a can of bacon by uploading some stuff called
Stoopid Stuff. Then I fell over.
- Adam Jewel (Yes, it's the very same General Amp who led the successful invasion
of Mars in 1997.): If it wasn't for him, this...thing, would have been called
- John Patrick Lodder: He risked the wrath of the other Elder Stoopidians by
revealing the trooth about the Bunny and the Toaster.
| Numbers |
| Z |
- [ ]
- It's a clue. Spatch used to maintain the [ ] at
No one knows where it's at now.
- It's a point. It's the dot that separates the alt and the
stupidity in alt-dot-stoopidititity. Now, when someone sends a
post asking what the point of alt.stupidity is, you can tell them.
- !#)&*@x!(8+=&*NO CARRIER
- Tell a really bad joke, then hang up.
- This number popped up in a post and it stuck. It's from
one of the Hitch Hiker's Guide books. Does anybody
have the original message? I've stupidly grepped through 2000
posts, but can't find its origin.
- and bacon
- See bacon, and
- bacon, and
- Used by Spatch in an attempt to stave off the Great Flame War
of '94 (see the
FAQ). Flapjack claims to have invented
- See gouta.
- Big Frog
- Ross (not Russ) is a Big Frog. Don't confuse
him with certain aminals with hyperactive thyroid glands.
- Bob Villa
- Okay, so we don't know how to spell his
name. We're stoopid.
- See Toaster.
- Captain Playjerism
- Bruce Wayne did not suffer the trauma of this man.
- Cheese Enforcement Agency, I thnik. I can't find the post that
started this one off. For more information, see
- Anti-JN was a cheese addict. But he's
- Keylime and Cabbage were the corn supporters in the corn vs.
bacon debate in 1994-95. Bacon won, but corn is acceptable.
Magnus Mulqvist is the resident
warlorder of alt.stupidity. If he can't figure out what it
is, he grabs Fragarach
and chops its head off. Becasue of him, there are
very few bad .sigs in alt.stupidity. He's far more effective
than those fine folks in alt.fan.warlord, where the battle
against bad .sigs rages on every day.
- especially the salty ones!
- We're a salty froup. Ask your Dr. what 180 over 120 means.
- The alt.stupidity FAQ.
- The Current FAQ (v2.0000000002)
The FAQ the Old Far^H^H^HTimers like to look at.
- Father of alt.stupidity
- That's Spatch. However, he did admit that he wasn't among the
- The sword of Magnus Mulqvist. He
- We give (l)Laura credit for coining the term, but it appears
all over Usenet; so who knows? (Actually, Google shows it first
being used by
someone flaming someone else in talk.bizarre in 1988.)
- god of alt.stupidity
- Spatch and Papa Legba fought it out for the title of alt.stupidity
god. Spatch won and Papa Legba subsequently vanished. Not that I'm
implying anything. No sirree! After all, Spatch promoted me to be the
Patron Saint of Something here on alt.stupidity!
- Who started this? It has something to do with
- Hall of Mirrors
- A quote from Flapjack that I used in a .sig a few times.
- HDOS is something
that Nosy mentions every now and then.
- Huh? (tm Nosy)
- May have been started in 1994 or 1995.
- The earliest reference to lutefisk I'd seen was in one of
Spatch's posts. It generated
several followups including this
recipe from the Last Viking.
- In 1997, alt.stupidity invaded Mars to get
- mouth figurine
- Wayne Kesslar posted a message in late '94 or early '95 that mentioned
mouth figurines. (This was before he started publishing his Play-A-Days.)
Tortess was fascinated by the idea and brought up the subject in a followup.
It caught on and generated several threads that lasted for months.
- Nosy wuz here befor the rest of us were...
- See Mars.
- Russ, yes Russ
- A flounder?
- Ask Nosy.
- Captain Plaigerism's favorite weapon when
defending the creative from those who would steal their material.
- Toaster, story of
- The story of the Bunny and the Toaster.
(What little we know of it from the available archaeological evidence.)
- In 1995, firstname.lastname@example.org would post messages and wish
us a nice weekend in his/her .sig--no matter what the day of the
week was. Nosy might have been the first to point out in a followup
that it was Thursday.
- undies undies undies undies!
- Villa, Bob
- Keylime might have started it. Here's the only
- We were all bored one night and Tortess suggested that
we play a game of Wriggo.
- Yakked Corndog
- Does anybody want to name it?
You can go to the top of this page.
Or, you can go to the
Or, you can go to Hell.
The information on this series of Web pages are
intended for scholars with too much time on their hands and who are
researching a subject that would--upon publication--make them
truly deserving of the Golden Fleece Award.
Copyright © 1997-1999, 2002, 2005, William A. Wilkinson.
All rights reserved. Quoted material belongs to the attributed
people--some of whom will really get into your face if you try
to rip them off.